Subject-verb agreement is a crucial aspect of English grammar that cannot be overlooked, especially for writers and copy editors. It is the proper usage of the verb form that agrees with the subject of a sentence. Inaccurate subject-verb agreement can negatively affect the tone and credibility of a piece of writing. As a professional, I have compiled this subject-verb agreement quiz to help you test your knowledge and improve your writing skills.
Quiz Instructions: Choose the correct verb form that agrees with the subject of the sentence.
1. The group of friends (was/were) planning a road trip.
2. The book that I borrowed from the library (is/are) due next week.
3. Each of the students (has/have) his or her own preferences.
4. The committee members (is/are) divided on the issue.
5. Neither the teacher nor the students (has/have) seen the new Harry Potter movie.
6. The number of applicants (is/are) increasing every day.
7. The news about the car accident (shocks/shock) everyone in the town.
8. The coffee and the tea (tastes/taste) different.
9. More than one book (was/were) missing from the library.
10. The team of doctors (is/are) working on the cure for cancer.
In conclusion, subject-verb agreement is an essential grammar rule that needs to be followed to avoid grammatical errors. Remember, the verb form should fit the subject of the sentence. If the subject is singular, the verb should also be singular, and if the subject is plural, the verb should also be plural. By practicing this subject-verb agreement quiz, you will develop a better understanding of this essential grammar rule and become a better writer and copy editor.